The Carnival of Venice is one of the most famous carnivals in the world and like every year, it is an opportunity for play, joy and carefreeness, where Venice is peacefully invaded by masks of all kinds, from the youngest to the oldest. The Venice Carnival 2021 begins on January 30 and ends on February 16.
This masquerade costume party is distinguished by the richness of the costumes, by the shows linked to the historical tradition of the event and by the importance given to Shrove Thursday and Tuesday.
The carnival event has St. Mark’s Square as its center, but the program of the Venetian carnival includes events of various kinds throughout the city, with historical re-enactments alongside the normal celebrations with masks and confetti.
In the official program of the Carnival many unmissable events such as the inauguration and opening of the festivities with “The Venetian Water Festival” in Rio di Cannaregio, the “Feast of the Maries“, the “Flight of the Angel” and the awarding of the “Most Beautiful Mask” until the big closing event of Mardi Gras in St. Mark’s Square.
- Saturday, January 30, 7 pm: opening of the Carnival – in Cannaregio, Amoris Causa – The Venetian Water Festival – Part One.
- Sunday, January 31, from 11 am: water parade in the Grand Canal with big party in Rio di Cannaregio. The Venetian Water Festival – Part Two.
- Saturday, February 6, from 2.30 pm: opening in St. Mark’s Square, procession and feast of the Maries, twelve beautiful Venetian maidens.
- Saturday Feb. 6 to Tuesday Feb. 16: the Official Dinner & Ball at Ca’ Vendramin Calergi, Venice casino headquarters.
- Sunday, February 7, 11 am: the Flight of the Angel in St. Mark’s Square.
- Sunday, February 14: the Eagle Flight in Venice and the Donkey Flight in Mestre.
- Tuesday, February 16: closing of the Carnival with the Lion Flight, Prize-giving ceremony of Mary, winner of the Carnival 2021
- February 6 to 16: Most Beautiful Mask Competition – Grand Finale
Schedule: Jan. 30 – Feb. 16, 2021
The program of the 2021 edition will be defined on the basis of the COVID-19 emergency trend. Update coming soon….